When it comes to storing valuable items, no storage solutions will be able to offer you as much security as a safe can. Apart from just security, if you own firearms, a gun safe is a must for you. Besides, your important documents and other precious materials can only be securely stored by keeping them inside a safe.
With that said, safes nowadays come with different types of locks and the combination lock is one of the common ones.
However, all of them will ship with the same combination, and to change it, you will have to know how to change a safe’s combination lock. Well, we are here to show you exactly how.
Table of Contents
Steps to Change the Combination Lock
Not all of the simplex lock safes will come with a manual. Even if some do include one, the procedure to change the combination lock can be a bit vague. So, to make things simple for you, we are here to provide you easy to follow steps that will allow you to change the combination lock of your safe.
For Mechanical Combination Safe
The steps you will have to follow for the mechanical combination safe are:
- First, you will have to identify the marks that are for opening the lock. Usually, it is an arrow that will be in the top middle of the circle. After that, you will have to identify the change mark. It should be just to the right or the left of the arrow that you have spotted.
- You will now have to open the safe. Use the default code that your safe came with. The code should be stated somewhere in the packaging. Then you will have to throw the bolts to their extended position. After the combination is dialed through the change mark that you spotted in step 1, it will be removed.
- Now, you will have to rotate the knob counterclockwise. Rotate it three times, as in until the first number passes through the charge mark three times.
- Next, you have to repeat step number two, but this time, you will have to make the second number pass the change mark two times in a clockwise manner. For the third rotation, keep the second number lined up with the change mark.
- Similarly, you will have to turn the knob again in a counterclockwise manner and make the third number pass the change mark once. Then rotate it again in the same manner and align the third number with the change mark.
- Now, you will have to insert the key back to the keyhole. Then, you will have to rotate it to a quarter in a counterclockwise manner.
- Likewise, you will have to enter a combination of your preference. But do keep in mind that the last number should be higher than twenty-five.
- Now, you will have to dial the newly set combination by using the change mark. For this, you need to follow steps number three, four, and five. After dialing, you should keep the third number aligned with the change mark. Lastly, you must turn the key to a quarter rotation in a clockwise manner.
After implementing all the steps that we mentioned above, your safe will have a new combination lock, and you will be able to open the safe using that.
For Digital Combination Safe
Changing the combination lock of a safe featuring a digital combination locking mechanism is a bit easier than the mechanical one. Your safe might have the S&G locking mechanism because it is quite common among the safe manufacturers.
We are going to show you how to change the lock for that one. The steps that you will have to follow are:
- First of all, you will have to use the default combination code and open the door. After opening it, you need to press the number seven, then the number four, and then the asterisk button, which is a “*.”
- Thus, the locking mechanism will go into the programmable mode. However, when it is in this mode, you will have to enter the default combination code again. Then you will need to press the hash button, which is a “#.” You will then hear five distinct beeps.
- After that, you must let the program know that you are going to change the combination lock. For that, you will have to press the number one and then the asterisk button that is a “*”.
- Then, you will enter your desired combination code. Do make sure that it is unique and does not match with the default combination code that most of the safes come with.
- After you have inputted the new code, you will have to press the hash button again, which is the “#” button. Then you will hear three distinct beeps. Once you hear those beeps, you must enter the new code again and then press the hash button again.
However, do make sure that your codes match, or you will have to repeat the entire process.
- If the new combination code that you have entered for the first time matches with the second confirmation code, the locking mechanism with beep three times. If you do not hear the beeps, it will mean that the codes did not match, and you will have to repeat steps four and five.
- After you hear the beeps, the locking mechanism will automatically exit from the programmable mode. However, do not close the safe door right away. Try the new combination code that you have just inputted and make sure that it works accordingly.
If it does not work optimally, you will have to get back into the programmable mode and do the entire process again.
After following all the steps that we mentioned above, you will be able to change the combination lock of your digital safe.
Changing the combination lock from the default is always a good idea, and we hope that we were able to show you how to change a safe combination lock appropriately. With that, we would like to wrap it up here by hoping that all the items that you store inside the safe stays secure and away from burglars.