Do you often go camping, fishing, golfing, or hiking? Then a soft cooler like the Yeti Hopper 20 portable cooler shouldn't miss among your gear. Basically, the Yeti hopper holds both cold and hot items, and it's your perfect storage solution when on the move.
Moreover, the Yeti hopper 20 cooler is a tough, non-sweating and 100% waterproof cooler, that can keep your ice cold for days. The product comes in different sizes to meet various needs, whether you're hiking up a mountain or sailing down a hot sea shoreline.
As a brand, Yeti has built global credibility in offering quality coolers, which can hold ice in extremely hot environments for inordinate lengths of time.
In this Yeti Hopper 20 reviews, we highlight the important product features of this cooler, and why it's important to own one.
Well, let's get started….
Yeti Hopper 20 Key Features
The Yeti Hopper 20 cooler has a dry-hide shell. Moreover, parts are RF-welded for maximum seam strength and strong straps, which can withstand rough handling, while staying durable and waterproof.
The cooler's high-density fabric is mildew resistant, waterproof, and it has antimicrobial properties. It is also resistant to punctures, and it can withstand strong UV rays, which often cause material degradation.
The hopper 20 is also made from closed-cell insulation rubber foam that improves cold-holding. This insulation is one-inch thick on the sides, and 1.5 inch thick on the bottom, and it provides a superior cooling effect when compared to ordinary coolers. The liner of the cooler is also made from food-grade material, which is approved by the Food and Drug Administration Agency (F.D.A).
The Yeti hopper 20 has a new tapered shape and body, which betters the cooler's thermal efficiency. We found that the shape also makes extended cooler hauling comfortable and easy.
The Hydro-Lok zipper design is leak-proof, thus eliminating spills, while locking the cold or warmth within the cooler.
The Yeti hopper 20 cooler has three straps; the end handles, primary carry handles, and adjustable and detachable shoulder straps, which allow you to carry the cooler in varying positions. We found this improvement to be important because it makes your hauling of the cooler easier.
While trying out the cooler, we found the hitch-point grid to be extremely useful if you want to make adjustments that can allow you to carry items such as your wallet and mobile phone.
The grid allows you to attach almost anything. Basically, you can attach a Molle bottle opener, a Molle Zinger, or a sidekick in which you can store your wallet, compass, or any other accessories.
What we liked about the cooler
- The unit is Puncture-proof, UV resistant, and durable enough to bear rough outdoor handling.
- It doesn't leak.
- The cooler has an average ice retention of at least 24 hours
- A sleek tapered body design that makes the cooler portable and easy to haul over long distances.
- It is made of a high-grade inner liner, which is sweat resistant and waterproof.
- The cooler has a high storage capacity; it can store up to 20 pounds of ice or at least 18 cans or bottles.
- It is easy to carry around- When not in use, you can collapse it to take a space equal to a fraction of its size
What we didn't like about the cooler
The cooler has a bunch of features that make it stand out. However, just like any other item, the Yeti Hopper 20 portable Cooler has its own flaws, which are relatively not as significant as compared to what you stand to gain by acquiring this product. Some of the disadvantages include:
- The hopper 20 can't carry solid and dry foods, as it lacks a food compartment. If you store any dry foods such as sandwiches, they are likely to become soggy or get totally spoiled.
- The Yeti hopper 20 cooler is quite expensive compared to similar units in its class
- There is no pouch for you to store your valuables. In fact, you have to pay a few dollars to get a sidekick, which you can attach to the hitch-point grid so as to store your valuables, to keep them from getting wet or damaged. - The zipper can sometimes be difficult to open.
What is in the hopper 20 cooler box?
- The yeti hopper 20 box comes with different accessories that can make your camping, hiking, fishing, biking, or golfing experience more fun. Some of the accessories included are the Yeti sidekick dry, the Molle Zinger bottle opener, the Molle bottle opener, and the Yeti ice.
- The Yeti sidekick dry is a side-pocket-sized waterproof gear, which you can attach to the cooler's hitch-point grid to store your valuables. The sidekick makes your items safe, 100% dry, and easily accessible. The waterproof case can help you carry your phone, wallet, compass, watch, keys, and fishing license while in the wild.
- The Molle bottle opener is attached to your Yeti Hopper's hitch-points, and you can use it to open any bottled conveniently.
- The Molle Zinger ensures your multi-tools are within reach. It is easily attached to the cooler's hitch-point grid, and it's made from a strong braided bomber cord that is durable and strong enough not to lose anything attached to it.
- The Yeti ice accessory maximizes ice retention by preventing the loss or gain of temperature in the storage compartment. Its design is break-resistant, and its shape is designed to reduce freezing time.
What to look out for when buying the hopper 20 cooler
Yeti hopper 20 capacity
The numbers at the end of Yeti cooler models represent the capacity of the unit. As such, The Yeti hopper 20 has a capacity to hold up to 20 pounds of ice. If your capacity falls within this range, then this is your ideal cooler. However, it is advisable not to overload it, as this might damage your cooler. If you have more items, it is advisable to pack equally in all your Yeti Coolers.
Yeti hopper 20 Material
Unlike the Roto-molded hard coolers, the Yeti hopper 20 is a Roto-molded soft cooler. The insulated walls are flexible and pliable. This makes it different from the hard coolers with a boxy shape. It's thus more like a duffel bag, which is insulated.
The cold cell insulation material is 1-inch thick on the side and 1.5-inch thick at the bottom.
It keeps the cooler insulated from sudden temperature changes and protects the bottom in cases of sudden drops that may damage the cooler and its content. Therefore, you should not worry in case of hard drops or rough handling.
The inner lining is built from FDA-approved food-grade materials that are mold resistant, and they also have antimicrobial properties.
The hydraulic type of zipper used keeps the content of the cooler insulated while providing a proper seal against leaks. The whole cooler is thus made of strong materials, which allow it to take the beating. We recommend that you go for this cooler if you anticipate rough road trips, hikes, or biking and fishing expeditions.
yeti hopper 20 Design
The yeti hopper 20 has a sleek and eye-catching design. The non-boxy shape makes it easy to carry. Moreover, the cooler's tapered design and multiple handles and straps that allow you to carry it in various positions.
yeti hopper 20 Weight
The Yeti hopper 20 weighs 4.4 lbs (approx. 4 pounds), and if you are carrying anything below 20 pounds, then this is the ideal light cooler for you. Moreover, the fact that it is collapsible makes it easy to stow away the cooler in any storage space when it's not in use.
yeti hopper 20 Ice retention
The Yeti hopper 20 has a great ice retention that ranges between 24 and 72 hours. Therefore, we strongly recommend this cooler for outdoor lovers that would like to keep their drinks cool for 2 to 3 days. Sounds good, right?
yeti hopper 20 Durability
If you're seeking for a cooler that will last a lifetime and perhaps pass down your generations, then the yeti hopper 20 reviews show that this is your ideal cooler. The tough materials and rock-solid construction of this cooler make it durable and worth every penny that you'll spend on it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can the Yeti hopper 20 cooler store hot or warm items?
Yes, the hopper 20 cooler is not only meant to store cold items like drinks. It can also keep warm or hot items from losing too much heat in cold weather such as is the case in Winter. The essence of the cooler is to prevent sudden temperature changes in all items stored in it.
2. Is it possible to increase the ice retention capacity?
Yes, you can increase the ice retention capacity of the Yeti hopper 20 cooler by packing it perfectly and ensuring that you don't expose the cooler to environments with extreme temperature changes.
Who's best suited to buy a Yeti hopper 20 cooler?
We recommend the cooler for all outdoor lovers such as hikers, bikers, campers, golfers, hunters, and fishers.
This is an item designed for people seeking to transport their drinks or any other items on ice. Since it's virtually impossible to move around with traditional coolers, these portable coolers are the perfect solution.
Bottom line: Is Yeti Hopper 20 really worth it?
The yeti hopper 20 is a popular cooler because of its indestructible and durable nature. It is the first 100% leak-proof cooler, with a soft-siding and a tough protective bottom. The cooler has a high storage capacity of about 20 pounds of ice, and a great ice retention of a minimum of 24 hours.
Moreover, the unit's sleek tapered body and different types of handles make it easy to haul on long-distance walks or travel. Even though the cooler is highly-priced and prestigious, it is a great investment that you can pass down generations to your loved ones if they love to engage in similar outdoor activities.
So what are you waiting for? Get one today!