We all have that one moment where we forgot something significant we shouldn’t have. However, forgetting the combination or key to your safe can be very frustrating and stressful.
But don’t panic because there’s always a solution. If you’re in such a dire situation and want to know how to open a safe without a key and combination, you’re at the right place!
Table of Contents
Ways to Open a Digital or Sentry Safe Without A Key and Combination
Whether it’s a sentry safe or digital safe, you will be surprised how easy it can be to open them if you have lost the key or can’t remember the code. Luckily, most of the methods get the job done without causing any damage to the safe.
Using a Knife or Screwdriver
This method works best on a sentry safe. First, you will need to find a knife or a screwdriver that fits the keyhole of the safe.
- Insert the pointed end of the knife or screwdriver inside the hole.
- Once it’s in, rotate it anti-clockwise or downwards.
- Do it until you heard a click sound, similar to how a key would make, unlocking the safe.
Using a Rare Earth Magnet
This is a quick and easy way to open a safe without a key or combination. However, since they’re very powerful, you need to take some precautionary measures before using them.
- Make sure that you’re in a place with no other electronics nearby and don’t put your fingers between the object and the magnet, you can injure your fingers.
- Put the magnet in a sock. For sentry safe, place it on the top left corner and move the magnet to the right, making the hinge inside to rotate, unlocking the safe.
- For digital safe, place the magnet in the sock on the front of the safe locating the solenoid. Move it around until the safe opens.
Using a Hammer and Chisel
Another quick way to open your safe is by using a hammer and chisel. This method only works for a digital safe. However, as you can guess, unlike the other methods, this will cause damage to your safe.
- Place the chisel on the edge of the combination pad. Now, using the hammer take it apart from the safe.
- You will see there’s a silver knob showing. Using the hammer and chisel again, take the knob apart.
- Insert your finger carefully inside the hole formed after removing the knob. Try to feel for a button, located down from the hole, and press it. It will open the safe.
Using a Paper Clip
A simple paper clip can also unlock a sentry safe. You need to do it precisely, so you might have to try a few times if it’s your first time trying to open something with a paper clip.
- Take a paper clip and make it straight. Now cut it in half down the middle.
- With one of the pieces, make a small curve on the top, leaving no gap and bend the curve perpendicular to the wire. It will work as a tension tool.
- With the other piece, bend a small part of the tip at a 45 degree. It will work as a pick tool.
- Now taking the tension tool, insert it at the bottom of the keyhole as much as possible. Next, insert the pick tool in the upper part of the keyhole, simultaneously.
- Move the pick tool up and down until you hear a clicking sound. Once you hear it, immediately turn the tension tool to the left. This will successfully unlock the safe.
Using a Nail Cutter Filer
This method is similar to the knife or screwdriver method and works on a sentry safe. You have to make sure the filer goes inside the keyhole.
- Take the pointed end of the filer and insert it fully inside the keyhole.
- Now carefully rotate the filer like how you would use a key or anti-clockwise.
- Try it until you hear a click unlocking the safe.
Using a Bouncy Surface
This is a very easy and effective way to open a digital safe. All you need is a surface that will cause the safe to repulse or bounce back up. A bed can do the trick.
- Place your digital safe on the bouncy surface.
- Hold the safe with both hands. Place one hand on the knob that unlocks the safe.
- Now, holding the safe up from the surface smack it against it while forcing the knob to rotate to the left, opening the safe easily.
Using a Drill
If you’re desperate, you can try drilling your way through to open the digital safe. This method will, of course, cause permanent damage to your safe, so think before going with this method.
- Drill a small hole on the back of your safe from where you can reach the reset button.
- Now, insert a Bore Scope through the hole until you reach the button.
- Press the reset button using the Bore Scope, thus opening the safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I order for a replacement key for my sentry safe?
You can contact the manufacturer and tell them the model and the serial number of your safe.
How do I request a factory combination for my digital safe?
Check for the model and the serial number of your safe, and then contact your manufacturer.
Which safe can I open with a magnet?
You can open both sentry and digital safe using a rare earth magnet.
Where can I find a rare earth magnet?
You can buy one online. It typically costs around $20.
Now that you know how to open a safe without a key and combination, you can surely find a method to use to open your safe. Just don’t lose hope and keep trying.