One of the hardest parts of moving is definitely transporting your heavy furniture and other belongings from the house. And having a large metal safe complicates things even more.
It takes a lot of effort and preparation to carry one. Without knowing how to move a 2000 pound safe, you’re just looking for accidents waiting to happen. So continue reading ahead to be safe.
Table of Contents
- 1 Ways To Move a 2000 Pound Gun Safe
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Final Words
Ways To Move a 2000 Pound Gun Safe
The best way to avoid accidents and safely move the heavy thing is to leave it to the professionals. It’s not wise to go with the plan of relocating it yourself if you have doubts or worries.
However, you do need to pay extra just to relocate it. If you’re worried about the money, do some research and keep searching the internet for a good deal. You will find a lot of professionals charge way less than the others.
Moreover, it is illegal for professionals or movers to transport guns or other weapons. So don’t forget to clear out your gun safe before the process.
Moving the Safe Yourself
If you want to relocate the vault to a different location in your house, you might want to move it yourself. Or maybe you will be moving it to a different place entirely; whatever the case is, it will require a lot of preparation and guidance.
Preparation Before Moving
First and foremost, get someone to help you! It’s nearly impossible for one person alone to transfer and move a thousand pounds. You will need at least three people to help.
- Shift furniture that might get in the way before moving.
- Protect your walls and floors. You can use thick cardboard, blankets, rags, etc. to cover them.
- Measure out the doorways so that the process happens smoothly.
- Remember the corners around the house as well as the stairs.
- Make sure, except the people helping, no other person, children or pets are around while moving.
Unload the Safe
It is not only easier but also safer to unload the things inside the vault before moving. This will also ensure your belongings don’t get damaged while advancing.
- Clear out the things inside the safe and make sure the door is locked securely.
- If your vault comes with a removable door, lessen the burden by taking it apart.
- To protect the safe and everyone else, wrap it with a thick blanket. For securing it in place, wrap the blanket-covered box with packing tape.
Getting the Right Moving Equipment
It is crucial to use the right moving equipment. Without it, it can be extremely dangerous and cause damage or accidents.
- Don’t use golf balls or PVC pipes to carry your vault! They can not only get crushed under the weight of it, but it’s also easier to lose balance, causing accidents or damaging the floor and furniture.
- Rent a heavy-duty dolly for the purpose. They’re especially suitable for carrying heavy stuff so you can safely transport the vault using it.
- Make sure to measure the safe before hiring. It will ensure you get the right size dolly for carrying it.
- Buy a rope if you don’t have one for tying the vault to the dolly.
Securing it on the Dolly
This is a significant step. So make sure you do it correctly to avoid any mishaps.
- Lift the vault at an angle and slide the dolly underneath it.
- Simultaneously, have other helpers to lean it against the dolly safely and slowly.
- Now, carefully slide the dolly entirely under the vault carrying its full weight.
- Once it’s on, very tightly tie the entire thing to the dolly using a rope, securing it in place.
- While moving, make sure to lean the dolly back to carry it easily. Let the other helpers help you to move it faster.
If you’ve already followed the pre-preparation correctly and mapped out the route and doorways, this step won’t be that hard for you. But there are some things you need to make sure and keep in mind.
- Take it slow. Rushing will only make it more tiring and also can lead to accidents.
- Carefully and slowly move around the corners of your house so you don’t damage the walls.
- Going down the stairs can be challenging and risky, so take as much help as possible while going down one step at a time.
- Let one person navigate the route for you while checking to make sure the doorway is clear. Also, make sure no children or pets are around.
Loading it into the Truck
This step will be easier if the moving truck has a mechanized loading ramp, so there’s no need to do the lifting. However, if it doesn’t, you will need to be careful while placing it into the truck.
- Get inside or let someone inside the truck while lifting the dolly.
- Let the other helpers push the dolly from the other side simultaneously. If you or the others stop at this step, you will have to start again, so make sure to keep the momentum going and don’t quit.
- Once it’s up inside the truck, secure it properly so that it doesn’t move along the way.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I move the vault up the stairs?
You can use the dolly while lifting it one step at a time.
Q. How do I rent a dolly?
You can rent them from a local mover or online.
Q. How much does it take to hire a professional?
It’s estimated to take from around 100 to 600 dollars.
Now that you know how to move a 2000 pound safe, you’re ready to safely and securely transfer it to any location. As long as you’re cautious and following the steps mentioned, you can confidently do it without any professionals’ help.